Franz Adelmann Records, 1873-1875 (R0207)
1 volume microfilmed
This is an account ledger of a general store operated by Franz Adelmann at Salem in Dent County, Missouri. Adelmann, a native of Bavaria, came to Salem in 1862 and engaged in the mercantile business until his death in 1875. The ledger is indexed.
Missouri county aerial photographs produced by the Agriculture Stabilization and Conservation Service.
American Revolution Bicentennial, Missouri Committee for Agriculture Papers, 1974-1976 (C4276)
1.2 cubic feet (42 folders), 1 audio tape
The papers/records of the committee contain correspondence, newsletters, reports, updates, events, awards programs, lists of elected members, historical information on "centennial farms," and "Liberty Trees," meeting minutes, announcements, newspaper clippings, and audio-visual material for a slide presentation entitled "The Spirit of 76."
Associated Electric Cooperative Inc. Records, 1997 (R1406)
0.1 cubic foot (1 folder)
The Associated Electric Cooperative Inc. Records contain the book Win-Win: A Information History of Associated Electric Cooperative Inc., written by Russ Holt and published in 1997.
This is the journal of John S. Ault, collector and city marshal of Salem in Dent County, Missouri.
The entries concern the collection of fees for business licenses and fines for violations, citations
for public nuisances, and arrests for disorderly behavior and public intoxication.
Bank of Lenox Records, 1911-1939 (R0342)
2 volumes microfilmed
These volumes are a shareholders' ledger, 1911-1939, and daily statements, 1936-1939, of the
Bank of Lenox in Dent County, Missouri. The bank opened in 1912 and closed in 1939.
Barnitz Family Photograph Collection, circa 1910-1980s (R1296)
0.05 cubic foot (1 folder, 43 photographs)
This collection consists of twenty-three black and white and twenty color photographs that were loaned for scanning. The photographs include agricultural activities and rural farm life from the early 1910s to 1980s in Phelps and Dent Counties. The photographs include subjects such as cattle and hog raising, baling hay, showing livestock and the Lake Spring Homemaker's Club in 1953.
This collection consists of correspondence and miscellaneous papers of Franklin H. Barnitz of Lake Spring, Dent County, Missouri. He was a native of Pennsylvania and freighter who operated from the railhead of the Southwest Branch of the Pacific Railroad in Phelps County before moving to Lake Spring. The collection includes letters from his family in York, Pennsylvania, and from friends and business associates in Arkansas, Kansas, and Missouri.
This is a scrapbook regarding Emma Lawrence Sankey Birch and her family. Birch was a native of Salem, Dent County, Missouri, and composer of the march, "The Missouri Girl." The scrapbook includes photographs and miscellaneous biographical material on Birch and her family, and a copy of the sheet music and an audio cassette recording of "The Missouri Girl."
This collection includes correspondence, printed material, and ephemera collected by Louise
Bradford (1898-1986), and Eva Ann Bradford (1900-1966), during their careers as teachers in
Missouri schools. Included are letters from former pupils, and printed materials from education and
teachers associations, schools in Berkeley, Rolla, St. James, Salem, and Sullivan, Missouri, and
women's clubs and service organizations in Dent and Phelps counties.
Lennis Leonard Broadfoot Collection, 1909-2005 (R1277)
(3 rolls of microfilm)
This collection consists of correspondence, personal and legal papers, ledger book, scrapbook and ephemera of artist Lennis Leonard Broadfoot. The collection predominately focuses on his artwork and publications, as well as his promotion of the Ozarks region in Dent and Shannon Counties through the creation of a national park, the Ozark National Scenic Riverways, and the promotion of the arts in general.
Joseph Brown Marriages Records, 1886-1920 (R0168)
0.01 cubic foot (1 folder)
The Joseph Brown Marriages Records contain photocopies of records of marriages performed by an itinerant Baptist minister. Most of the marriages recorded took place at Newburg in Phelps County, Missouri, and involved residents of Phelps, Pulaski, and Dent counties.
S.G. Bundy Autobiography, 1912 (C2985)
1 roll of microfilm
The collection contains an autobiography of a farmer, pioneer, rural school teacher, Union soldier, and Methodist missionary and minister.
S.J. Bunker Abstract of Title, 1929 (C0531)
0.02 cubic feet (1 folder)
One abstract of title containing all the instruments of writing which affect the title of a section and a half of land in Dent County, Mo., from 1860 to 1929. Prepared by the Bennett Abstract Company, Salem, Missouri, November 15, 1929.
W.W. Cannon Diary, 1886 (C0449)
0.02 cubic feet (1 folder)
A daily account of the work done by a Dent County farmer. The entries are written in a memorandum book advertising patent medicine.
Central Missouri Association of United Baptists Records, 1859-1996 (R0599)
1 roll (40 volumes)
These are minutes of the annual meetings of the Central Missouri Association of United Baptists, beginning with the organizational meeting in 1859. The Association consists of churches in southeastern Missouri, primarily in the counties of Dent, Iron, Reynolds, and Washington.
This is a booklet published for the Central Ozark Aberdeen-Angus Breeders Association's 15th consignment show and sale, held near Salem in Dent County, Missouri on March 13, 1961. Forty-one head of registered cattle were offered at the event. The auctioneer was Wes Hays and the show judge was Vic Gray.
This is a copy of 'Company Attention' from September 1939, the newsletter of Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1730, located at Forest Service Camp F-MO-7 near Bunker in Dent County, Missouri. Laval H. Ander was the company commander and Fred M. Gannon was superintendent of forestry.
Deleta Condray Papers, 1933 (R1094)
This is a letter dated March 27, 1933, from Deleta Condray of Bangert in Dent County, Missouri, to the directors of the Adams School District in Phelps County, Missouri. In the letter Condray applies for a teaching job at the school.
This is a photocopy of an agreement for the sale of two slave children, by Christopher C. Cook to George N. Cook, July 21, 1860, probably in Crawford County, Missouri. Appended are biographical notes by William P. Elmer of Salem, Missouri, 1955.
Alfred B. Cree Papers, 1862-1863 (R0301)
0.05 cubic foot (2 folders)
The Alfred B. Cree Papers contain the letters of Capt. Alfred B. Cree of Co. F., 22nd Iowa Infantry. Cree wrote of family matters, camp life, and regimental politics from Benton Barracks at St. Louis, and from camps at Rolla, Salem, Iron Mountain, and Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, 1862-1863. There is also a single letter from Charlestown in what is now West Virginia, in 1864.
William Devol Dobkins Photograph Collection, circa 1879-1968, bulk 1892-1920 (R1279)
0.5 cubic foot (6 folders, 92 photographs)
The William Devol Dobkins Photograph Collection contains ninety-two photographs, consisting primarily of contact prints from the original glass-plate negatives. Of these, at least eighty are attributed to William “Will” Devol Dobkins. The majority of these images were shot between 1892 and 1920. They show outdoor views of life in and around Crawford County, Missouri.
Membership records and minutes of a Regular Primitive Baptist church founded in August 1898 and dissolved in February 1966. Included are the Articles of Faith and the Rules of Decorum. Membership information relates date and means of entry into the church and birth and death dates. The minutes record business matters, sermon topics, songs, attendance, and officers.
Dry Fork Regular Baptist Church, Lake Spring, Missouri Records, 1834-1903 (R0406)
1 volume, 1 folder microfilmed
These are a record book and papers of the Dry Fork Regular Baptist Church in the Lake Spring
community of Dent County, Missouri. The volume includes the rules of decorum, articles of faith,
membership records, and minutes of church business meetings, 1834-1879. The papers include
letters of dismission and church correspondence
Edd Ingram Photographs, 1904-1918 (P0279)
1.71 cubic feet (396 glass plate negatives, 13 photographs)
Photographs by Edd Ingram of Edgar Springs, Missouri, primarily in glass plate negative format. Ingram captured early twentieth-century individual and group portraits, school portraits, and images of rural activities, industries, and agriculture. Identified locations pictured are in south central Missouri and cover portions of Phelps, Pulaski, Dent, Texas, and Crawford counties.
This is a history of the Nova Scotia Iron Company, 1880-1893, written by Robert L. Elgin. The company operated mines and a hot blast furnace in Dent County, Missouri. The furnace operated only intermittently from 1881 to 1884. The history, written largely from newspaper sources in Dent and Crawford Counties and iron trade journals, was prepared for the Mark Twain National Forest.
Robert L. Elgin Research Collection, 1960-1993 (R1261)
2.1 cubic feet (65 folders)
These are the research files of a civil engineer, surveyor, and historian from St. James in Phelps County, Missouri. The colletion includes reports, scale sketches, and photographs concerning the restoration of various historic sites in Missouri, charcoal iron furnace sites in Missouri, and prehistoric petroglyphs and pictograph sites in the Missouri Ozarks.
Henry Beeson Flanner Papers, 1856, circa 1936 (R0139)
0.02 cubic foot (2 folders)
The Henry Beeson Flanner Collection contains photocopies of a typescript diary by Henry Beeson Flanner describing his travels between Mount Pleasant, Ohio and Lake Spring in Dent County, Missouri, where he purchased land. Also included is a pamphlet by Anna Flanner Buchanan concerning the Flanner family.
Daniel Fogle Letters, 1867 (C2613)
0.02 cubic feet (1 folder)
Six letters from Daniel Fogle to his wife while he was on an exploratory expedition to western Missouri and Kansas.
Charles Gills Papers, 1891-1973 (R1451)
2 rolls (2 volumes)
The collection of Charles Gill contains diaries, writings, travelogues, magazine/newspaper articles, letters, expense records, photographs/post-cards, and many miscellaneous articles written or collected by Charles Gill.
An artificial collection of photographs of the greater Rolla-St. James region in Missouri, including Crawford, Dent, Phelps, Maries, and Pulaski counties.
Sarah Guitar Collection, no date (C3391)
1.5 cubic feet (5 card files); also available on 2 rolls of microfilm
Card file compiled by Sarah Guitar, reference librarian of the State Historical Society of Missouri, as a guide to county boundaries of Missouri, 1812-1929; Missouri congressional district boundaries, 1845-1933; Missouri senatorial districts, 1820-1931; and Missouri judicial circuits, 1815-1915.
Sarah Guitar Papers, 1931-1944 (C3563)
1.2 cubic feet
Correspondence and miscellaneous information on Missouri compiled by Miss Guitar during her employment as reference librarian for the State Historical Society of Missouri.
Leonard Hall Papers, 1946-1983 (R0408)
2.5 cubic feet (47 folders)
These are papers of a conservationist, newspaper columnist, author, and lecturer. Prominent topics
include the Ozark National Scenic Riverways, the National Audubon Society, Defenders of Wildlife, and
wilderness areas. There are texts and notes for many of his articles, books, and lectures, as well as
scripts for several nature films.
Samuel A. Harrison Collection, no date (R0078)
0.01 cubic foot (1 folder)
The Samuel Aaron Harrison Collection contains a photocopy of "Samuel Aaron Harrison, 1842-1940: His Ancestors and Descendants," by S. Claude Null. It is an account of the life of Harrison, with detailed genealogical information. Included is an "Insert on the Ancestry of Presidents Harrison," and a general history of the surname Harrison.
John Calvin Hughes Papers, 1827-1863 (R0309)
0.04 cubic foot (2 folders)
These are typescripts of the Civil War letters of John C. Hughes, a native of Washington
County, Missouri, and member of Co. I, 33rd Missouri Infantry. He wrote to his wife from camps at
St. Louis, Rolla, Salem, Houston, and Hartville, Missouri, Columbus, Kentucky, and Helena,
Arkansas. Folder 2 contains genealogical data and copies of military service and pension papers
from the National Archives.
Hyer and Fyan Families Papers, 1875-1888 (R1426)
0.1 cubic foot (1 folder)
The collection contains letters written by John Hyer and Robert W. Fyan to various friends, family and colleagues in the Hyer and Bowles family.
James Memorial Library Photograph Collection, 1870s-1992 (R1480)
3.5 cubic feet (52 folders, 4443 negatives, 50 glass plate negatives)
The James Memorial Public Library Photograph Collection contains negative copies of photographs brought to the library in St. James by residencewho lived in town and the surrounding area. The original images date from the 1870sto the 1990s and include family portraits, city scenes, local businesses, area schools, events, parades, weddings, and church activitiesamong many others. The majority of the photographs are from Phelps County with representation from Crawford and Dent Counties.
David A. James Papers, 1790-2008 (C4126)
5 cubic feet
The research material of a hotel management instructor, whose work resulted in the publication Historic Hotels of Missouri: Hotels, Inns, and Taverns of 19th Century Missouri.
Frederick August Kullman Papers, 1855-1980 (R0120)
0.03 cubic foot (3 folders)
The Frederick August Kullman Papers contain photocopies of the miscellaneous papers and Civil War diary of Frederick A. Kullman, a resident of Cole Camp, Benton County, Missouri, and a soldier in the 13th Missouri Cavalry. His papers include confirmation and emigration certificates from Bavaria, military service records, correspondence, photographs, and genealogical information on the Kullman family. The wartime diary covers service at Rolla and Licking, Missouri in 1865.
Lake Spring Cemetery Association Records, 1878-1945 (R0128)
(1 roll of microfilm)
The Lake Spring Cemetery Association Records contains a microfilm copy of minutes of meetings of the trustees, cash accounts, and miscellaneous records of the Lake Spring Cemetery Association at Lake Spring in Dent County, Missouri.
Lake Spring Mercantile Records, 1866-1941 (R0171)
(2 rolls of microfilm)
The Lake Spring Mercantile Records contains microfilm copies of account ledgers and daybooks of a general store at Lake Spring in the northwestern corner of Dent County, Missouri. The business was operated, first by John Hyer and John R. Flora, and then by Alexander C. Donnan.
J. Gilbert Lay Papers, 1960s-1980s (R1327)
1 cubic foot (6 volumes)
The J. Gilbert Lay Papers include six scrapbooks containing obituaries and death notices for residents of Cook Station, Crawford County, Missouri, and surrounding communities. Also included are newspaper clippings of Lay’s poetry and writings, advertisements of his revivals, local history items, and local news. The collection also contains the Lay family genealogy with numerous pages devoted to Lay’s mother, Lena Lay.
Lecoma Mill Company Records, 1882 (R0129)
(1 roll of microfilm)
The Lecoma Mill Company Records contain a microfilm copy of individual accounts and records of cash received by the Lecoma Mill Company at Lecoma at Dent County, Missouri.
Lexington, Missouri Business Records, 1831-1869 (C4311)
2 cubic feet (12 folders), 1 volume
The records of banks and other businesses in Lexington Missouri contain Account Books, Day Books, Letter Books, Statement Books, Protest of Payment Books, Copy Books, Minute Books, and Bills of Lading.
These are minutes of annual meetings of the Little Piney Association, which was composed of churches in Camden, Cole, Crawford, Dent, Gasconade, Maries, Miller, Osage, Phelps, Pulaski, Shannon, and Texas Counties in Missouri. At various times, the organization had also been titled a "United" and "Primitive" Baptist association.
William Henry Lynch Papers, 1859-1905 (R0202)
16 volumes, 8 folders microfilmed
These are diaries and miscellaneous papers of an educator in southern Missouri. Lynch was a
native of Houston in Texas County, Missouri. He served in the 32nd Missouri Infantry during the
Civil War, and was principal of schools in Steelville, St. James, Salem, West Plains, and Mountain
Grove, Missouri, following the war.