12 cubic feet, 439 folders, 4 photographs, 8 audio tapes, 1 microfilm roll
The Committee for Environmental Information was founded in April 1958 as the Greater St. Louis Citizens' Committee for Nuclear Information. Its purpose was to collect, evaluate, and make available to the public information concerning nuclear tests and weaponry and the uses of nuclear energy. In 1967 the Committee changed its name and expanded its interests to include a variety of environmental topics. The Committee for Environmental Information records of 1956-1977 document the work of the Baby Tooth Survey; the Speakers' Bureau; public testimony of members; funding activities; the development and execution of various CEI projects; publications; conferences; conventions; and board, subcommittees, and annual membership meetings. The records also document new services, public service announcements, press releases, and the publication of its 1973 high school teaching units. Also included with the collection are public reports, testimony, correspondence, board directors, technical division and subcommittee bylaws and meeting minutes; speakers' vitae; mailings; financial statements; grant applications, proposals, acceptances and rejections; drafts and manuscripts for Environment Magazine and its precursors; Environotes; public service announcements; press releases; early newsletters and membership lists.