Linn County

The information on this page is part of the Ramsay Place Names File, a collection of Missouri place name origins compiled from 1928-1945.

The language used to describe groups of people in this collection reflects the time and place the document was created.  Since the language is part of this historical document, it remains as originally printed, although it does not reflect the current values or beliefs held by the SHSMO.

Place name: Baker Township

Description: Baker Township was named after the Baker family. Samuel Baker was one of the commissioners when the townships of the county were formed. (George Johnson; HIST. LINN, (Taylor), p. 58)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Bear Branch

Description: Bear Branch post office was located on the stream of the same name. In the early days bears were often seen along the branch. The post office was disconinued in 1889. (MISSOURI GAZ., (1876-7), p. 84; MISSOURI GAZ., (1889), p. 146; Judge Henry Johnson)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Belshe School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Benton Township

Description: Benton Township was organized May 1838. It was probably named for the Senator, Thomas Hart Benton. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 194)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Bethel School

Description: Named for a church.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Bondville

Description: See Purdin.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Boomer

Description: The post office at Boomer was organized in 1889. The railroad station is known as Forker. Boomer is the name of a family and Forker was named for a railroad official. (Henry Johnson; Bert Moore; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 172)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Boone School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Botts School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Bottsville

Description: See Meadville.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Brookfield

Description: Brookfield was named for John Wood Brooks, a civil engineer from Boston. He surveyed the town July 20, 1859 under the direction of Major Josiah Hunt, a land commissioner for the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad. Engineer Brooks was further recognized by four streets of the town which were named "John," "Wood," "Brooks," and "Boston." The ground on which Brookfield now stands was formerly known as "The Scatters." The form Brookfield was probably influenced from Brookfield, Vermont. (HIST. LINN (Taylor), p. 195; Eaton, pp. 88, 187-8; HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 488)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Brown School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Browning

Description: The town of Browning was platted in 1872. It is on the line between Linn and Sullivan counties. It was at first suggested to use a combination of these names and call the town Linnivan. It was finally decided, however, to honor Mrs. Ella Browning, wife of J.A. Browning, one of the officials of the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad, and so the town was called Browning. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 751; HIST. LINN (Taylor), p. 240; LINN COUNTY ATLAS, (1876), p. 10)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Brownlee School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Bucklin

Description: The town of Bucklin was platted October 11, 1854 by W.B. McClanahan on land owned by John H. Watson and Dr. John F. Powers. The town was named in honor of Major James H. Bucklin, one time chief engineer of the Hannibal and St. Joe Railroad. The reason it was named after the engineer was that the founders wanted the division to be at this place. The village was called Bucklinville. It was incorporated into a town in 1886. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 411; LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, p. 10; CLARK'S SECTIONAL MAP; MISSOURI GAZ., 1876, p. 110)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Burch School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Buzzard's Roost

Description: See Haysville.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Carey School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Carpenter School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Carter School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Cash School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Center Point

Description: "In 1857, the town of Center Point was laid out, but it died soon after it was laid out. The dividing of Yellow Creek Township which occurred January 5, 1866 caused the town to cease to exist." (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 675)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Center School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Clapp School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Clay Township

Description: The first settlers came to Clay Township in 1835. The township of Clay was organized in 1869 out of Parson Creek, Jackson, and Locust Creek Townships. The township was probably named for Henry Clay. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 781, 220)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Commercial School

Description: An abstract name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Crescent School

Description: An abstract name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Davis School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Dickinson School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Duncan School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: East Strawberry School

Description: Named for a creek or stream.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Elk Grove School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Elm Grove School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Enterprise (Rodney)

Description: The town of Northcutt was first laid off in the year of 1857 or 1858 on land belonging to B.F. Northcutt. The town went by its founder's name until about 1874. The name was then changed to Enterprise but as there was another town in the state by that name it was called New Enterprise. Later, the post office was called Rodney. At the present time only a few people live in the village and the district school is known as Enterprise. The post office was discontinued in 1833 as Northcutt. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, p. 411; ATLAS LINN, 1876, p. 10; MISSOURI GAZ., 1874-1876, p. 353; MISSOURI GAZ. 1883, p. 726)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Enterprise School

Description: Named for a town.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Eureka School

Description: Named for a town.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Eversonville

Description: This settlement was first known as "The Four Corners." Charles H. Everson of Boston created the first building in 1876. The place was then known as Everson's Store. In 1879 several stores had been built and it was large enough to be called a village. It was incorporated in 1881, but as it was not situated on a railroad, the town has almost ceased to exist. (MISSOURI GAZ. 1879, p. 234; MISSOURI GAZ., 1899, p. 345; HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 787-8)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Fairview School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Forker

Description: It is thought the town was named after a conductor on the Burlington and Carrollton Railroad. The post office is known as Boomer; it was named for a family. (Judge Henry Johnson; Bert Moore)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Fountain Grove (Wolf Grove)

Description: This village was formerly known as "Wolf Grove." It was laid out by F.R. Green and Thomas McMullin, March 20, 1871. "The nape (sic) of the grove is on a branch and that is how the town gets its name." It was platted February 6, 1871. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, pp. 411-12; EDWARD'S ATLAS, p. 10; Col. F.A. Powers; MISSOURI GAZ, 1879, p. 245; Col. F.A. Powers, Williams; HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, pp. 411-12; LINN COUNTY ATLAS 1876, p. 10; MISSOURI GAZ., 1879, p. 245)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Fountain Grove School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Garner

Description: This place was a country store. It was named after the Garner family. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter); LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, p. 10; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 362)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Gooch School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Grantsville

Description: Grantsville was laid out by E.C. Hutchison and William Moore, January 9, 1866. It was named for General U.S. Grant. The post office was discontinued in 1889. (For. Street; W.J. Wigginton, (letter), MISSOURI GAZ., 1876-7, p. 202; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 399; LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, p. 10)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Grantsville School

Description: Named for a town.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Green View School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Grove Hill School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Hackler School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Hardin School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Haseville

Description: See Haysville.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Haysville (Haseville)

Description: This village was formerly known as "Buzzard's Roost." It was named for John Hays who was a storekeeper. It was settled about 1883. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 408; MISSOURI GAZ., 1898, p. 429; Col. F.A. Powers, (letter); LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, p. 7)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Hecla

Description: The name Hecla was given to this post office by the postal department at Washington. No one knows why the name was chosen. The post office was discontinued in 1883. There is a mountian in Iceland known as Mt. Hecla. (John Canada; MISSOURI GAZ., 1883, p. 432)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Hess School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Hill School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Hooker School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Jackson Center School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Jackson Township

Description: Jackson Township was one of the original townships organized in 1845. It was probably named for the general. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 827-43)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Jefferson Township

Description: Jefferson Township was first settled in 1835 by Jacob Grindstaff. It was one of the original townships formed when Linn County was organized in 1845. It was probably named for Thomas Jefferson. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 569-575)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Jenkins School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Johnson School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Kirby School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Laclede

Description: The name Laclede was given in honor of the old pioneer of Missouri and one one of the founders of St. Louis, Laclede Liqueste. It was named by Henry W. Cross and laid out August 19, 1853. It was incorpoated in March, 1866. It was first written LaClede as the founder wrote his name. This town has become distinguished in recent years as the home of General John J. Pershing. (Gannett, p. 178; HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 583; Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 412; LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, p. 155)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Lee School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Leverton

Description: A country office which was named after Leverton Wilcox, who was its first postmaster. (Judge Henry Johnson; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 752)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Light School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Lind Branch

Description: Lind Branch was so-called because of the abundance of linden trees on its banks. Lind is a form of linden. (Gud Adams)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Linn Center School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Linn County

Description: Linn County was organized January 7, 1837. "It was named after Honorable Lewis T. Linn who was a United States Senator from 1833-1843." In 1843, Honorable Lewis T. Linn died at his residence at Ste. Genevieve. (Eaton, p. 187; Gannet, p. 187; LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, p. 6; HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 169; RECORD OF CHAR. COUNTY, Part II, p. 17)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Linneus

Description: "The original name of the county seat was Linnville, but the name was afterwards changed to Linneus. The new name was selected by John Parsons, a lawyer." His purpose was to have the town named in honor of the great Swedish scientist, Karl Von Linne, who was commonly called Linnaeus. "The Swedish savant was the greatest botanist of his age. He was born in Rashult, Sweden, May 13, 1807. In his day his successful researches had made him a recognized authority along the lines of his study and he was looked up to as a world benefactor." In writing the name of the town on the records the clerks spelled it "Linneus." While Mr. Parsons lived he hung tenaciously to the spelling of the name as the botanist did. Mr. Parsons drafted the act of legislature approved December 17, 1840. In that act the name of the town is spelled Linnaeus. It is also spelled that way in the act of legislature approved November 23, 1857. "The question of proper orthography died with Mr. Parsons and custom and convenience have triumped over literary accuracy." Some histories record that Senator Linn modestly declared that he preferred the name Linnaeus to Linnville. (Stevens, p. 42; HIST. LINN, (Taylor), p. 51; Gannett, p. 187; Eaton, p. 187; LINN COUNTY ATLAS, 1876, pp. 6, 10)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Linnville

Description: See Linneus.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Locust Creek

Description: This creek takes its name from the locust trees that grow along its banks. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Locust Creek School

Description: Named for a creek or stream.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Locust Creek Township

Description: The creek was so-called because of the locust trees on its banks. The township took its name from the creek. (Judge Henry Johnson; Col. F.A. Powers, (letter)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Lowell

Description: Lowell was a country post office near Wheeling. The name may have been transferred from the eastern states and it may have been named for a family. The post office was only of short duration. (MISSOURI GAZ, (1898-9), p. 764; Colonel Powers, (letter)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Lowe's Branch

Description: This branch was named after a person by the same name, i.e., Lowe. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 740)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Marceline

Description: The town of Marceline was platted in 1887 and named for the wife of one of the railroad officials, whose Christian name was "Marcelina." It was made the division of the Atcheson, Topeka, and Santa Fe system. The township was named for the town. (HIST. LINN, (Taylor), p. 213; Eaton, p. 188)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: McClure School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Meadville

Description: This town was first called New Baltimore. In 1860, John Botts who had a store there changed the name of the town to Bottsville. In 1867, John Botts moved to Howard County so in 1869 the name of the town was again changed to Meadville. The name Meadville was in honor of Charles Mead, the superintendent of Hannibal and St. Joe Railroad. The town was incorporated in 1881. (Judge Henry Johnson; Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, p. 412; HIST. LINN, (Taylor), pp. 246-48; HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 705-6)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Morris Chapel

Description: This church was named after Tom Morris. He contributed the largest sum of money and donated the ground. (Guy Adams)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Mt. Olive School

Description: Named for a church.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Mundell School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Needles

Description: "This place was a spur of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad between Laclede and Brookfield." (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Nester School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Nevins School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: New Baltimore

Description: See Meadville.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: New Boston

Description: The founders of New Boston were A. Barrow and P.A.C. Wright. This village became a post office in 1872. There was also a New Boston just over the line in Macon County. It was old enough to be the grandfather of the village in Linn County. Age had so crippled the Macon County village that it had every appearance of dying without outside help. "The starting of the real and present New Boston was the signal on the part of a few persons to get on their ears and hurl anathemas deep and vengeful at New Boston." They said that the town interfered with the growth of the old town. The people in Macon County called the village in Linn County "Hell's Square Acre." (HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 817; HIST. LINN, (Taylor), p. 246)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: New Boston School

Description: Named for a town.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Newton School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: North Eagle School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: North Salem

Description: The town of Whig Town was platted in 1840 when the northern part of the county was a boundary of sections seven and eight, Field Artillery, United States of America. Most of the settlers were of Puritan stock and as there were more Whigs than Democrats in the town, it received the name of "Whig Town." The town was laid out in 1858 by William Sanders. When the post office was platted Mr. Putnam wanted to call it Salem, in honor of his old home in Indiana, but since there was already one Salem in the state, the place was called North Salem. Salem is a Hebrew word for "peace" and was applied to the Massachusetts city by the earliest settlers, in hopes that they would find peace and security there, that they had not found in Europe from whence they immigrated. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 825-6; Stennett, p. 122)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: North Salem School

Description: Named for a town.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: North Sebago School

Description: Named for a church.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Northcutt

Description: See Enterprise.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Norton School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Oak Arbor Church

Description: This church is the oldest church in Jefferson Township. It was organized in 1841. (HIST. LINN (Brisdall & Dean), p. 579)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Oak Arbor School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Oak Dale School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Oak Grove School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Orlinda

Description: Orlinda was established as a post office about 1874 and the place was abandoned about 1880. The village was named by Manly Thomas who was in the mercantile business there. He named the post office after his sister, Orlinda. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter); W.J. Wigginton, (letter); MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, pp. 906-8; HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 843)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Parsons Creek

Description: Many years ago when the country was first being settled there was a Methodist preacher, who made his circuit in Sullivan County. The legend is that the preacher tried to cross the creek when the river was high, and he was drowned. So the creek was called Parson's Creek. It has been shortened to Parson Creek in recent times. (Mrs. W.W. Crawford)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Pershing School

Description: Named for a famous man.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Phillips School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Pierce School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Pleasant Point School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Pleasant Shade School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Plum Branch

Description: Plum Branch took its name from the enormous quantities of wild plum trees which grew along its banks. (HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 140)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Plum Grove School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Prairie Flower School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Prairie Seminary School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Purdin (Bondville)

Description: The village of Purdin was first called Bondville. The reason for this was, when the first atlas was being made the information of this vicinity was secured from Peter Bond. The name was never officially given. The village was laid out by Peter Bond and Charles B. Purdin and was named by a railroad official after Mr. Purdin. It was laid out in 1873 and was incorporated April 10, 1899. (Fan Street, (letter); Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 412; HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 755-65; HIST. LINN, (Taylor), pp. 244-6)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Rodney

Description: See Enterprise.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Rose Dale

Description: The name of the post office was changed to Hylerid. See Hylerid. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 988)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Sedgwick

Description: The post office was named in honor of a Union general of that name who was killed in one of the battles of the wilderness in Virginia in the spring of 1864. (MISSOURI GAZ., 1874-6, p. 611; MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-9, p. 1342; HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 826)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Shafter

Description: The village of Shafter was named after a general by that same name who fought in the Spanish-American War. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter); Judge Henry Johnson)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Shelby

Description: This post office was named for Sheldon Wilson, whose nickname was Shelby. He had a store at this place and was a prominent citizen of the community. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter); MISSOURI GAZ., 1898-9, p. 1349; MISSOURI GAZ., 1889, p. 1397)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Sherman

Description: The town of Sherman was in Yellow Creek Township. On August 2, 1869, it ceased to exist. It was named after the general. (HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 675)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Sidebottom School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Sights School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Slater School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Snowdon

Description: This post office took its name from its postmaster, A.L. Snowden. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: St. Catherine

Description: St. Catherine was laid out April 28, 1856 on land belonging to William and Catherine Elliott. It was named in honor of Mrs. Elliott. "Saint" was afterwards added as a joke, but Mrs. Elliot remarked she had no objections to being canonized as a saint, and so the name became an established fact. (Williams, HIST. N.E. MISSOURI, Vol. I, p. 412; HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), p. 675; Eaton, p. 168)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: St. Catherine School

Description: Named for a town.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Stains School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Strawberry Branch

Description: The branch received its name from the wild strawberry vines which grew along its banks. The schoolhouse, which was built in 1851, took its name from the from the branch. (HIST. LINN, Brisdall & Dean, p. 784)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Sunny Point School

Description: A name of location.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Thayer

Description: This town was laid out in 1857. The place was called Thayer in honor of some railroad magnate of the East, probably Eli Thayer of Boston. When the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad was completed to Thayer, Thayer was made a temporary division, which was expected and promised to be permanent. But later, the railroad authorities decided to locate the division at Brrokfield, and there all the offices were moved. Thayer, then dwindled away and in March 1861, it was vacated by an act of Legislature. (HIST. LINN, (Brisdall & Dean), pp. 655-56)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Thorp School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Turkey Creek

Description: "This creek was formerly in a brushy location, stocked with wild turkeys." (Colonel F.A. Powers, (letter).

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Union Ridge School

Description: An abstract name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Warner School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Warren School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: West Liberty School

Description: An abstract name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: West Strawberry School

Description: Named for a creek or stream.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Whig Town

Description: See North Salem.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: White School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Wolf Grove

Description: See Fountain Grove.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Woodside School

Description: A family name.

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Wyandotte

Description: The village of Wyandotte was so called because the Wyandotte Indians were prominent in Kansas at the time of their settlement. The village was vacated September 1, 1862. (Col. F.A. Powers, (letter); Hodge, Vol. I, p. 599)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.

 

Place name: Yellow Creek

Description: This creek is called Yellow Creek after the yellow clay which covers its banks. (Eli Nickell; HIST. LINN COUNTY, (map, p. 8)

Source: Adams, Orvyl Guy. "Place Names in the North Central Counties of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1928.