11 cubic feet, 183 folders, 298 photographs
The Women's Christian Association of St. Louis began an effort to open an elder care facility in June 1880. It purchased a building, Beauvais Manor on South Grand, in May 1882, and opened the facility under the name St. Louis Memorial Home. The collection includes annual reports, minute books, resident applications, a legal file on the home's Baxter Road property, financial and administrative records, and photographs.
This collection can be requested to view at State Historical Society of Missouri research centers. Appointments are strongly encouraged to ensure that requested materials are available at the time of your visit. Make an appointment using the research request form.
The State Historical Society of Missouri collects materials documenting all aspects of Missouri history. Some of our paper and digital collections as well as older finding aids may include harmful or outdated language and could be considered offensive. SHSMO does not censor its collections, but we endeavor to be accurate and inclusive in how we describe them.
We are committed to revising and updating our descriptive language; however, with thousands of finding aids, this is ongoing and will take time. When processing new collections, we will occasionally re-use language provided by creators and former owners of the collection because it provides important context about the materials or appears in the formal names of organizations or titles of materials in the collection. In all finding aids, archivists work to contextualize the contents of manuscript collections.