1 roll microfilm, 2 volumes
Three St. Louis carpenters' unions helped organize the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America in Chicago in August 1881. Unable to improve working conditions locally the national board revoked the charters of the three unions and consolidated them into one, Local 5, in November 1883. The new local successfully estbalished the eight-hour work day for its members in 1886. Nicknamed the old "Dutch Local" the local's early records (1885-1913) are in German.